Can I drive my financed car abroad?


Check our extensive guide on how to drive you car to EU if its on finance. Taking your financed car abroad can be difficult. Not only is it logistically complicated, but the paperwork involved can also be a minefield. When you’ve bought a car outright and have full ownership, taking it abroad is fairly straightforward.

It depends on how long you’re planning to be overseas. If you’re just taking a holiday, then it’s far easier and you’re far more likely to obtain permission from your finance provider. If, however, you are moving abroad permanently (or at least long-term), there’s a good chance that you’ll need to settle or terminate your finance agreement early i.e. before you leave the country. The reason you need permission from your finance provider is that they are the legal owner of the vehicle, at least until you’ve fully paid off your debt. Failure to obtain permission could result in the car being impounded by authorities.

In the event of a holiday, simply contact your finance provider to obtain permission and have them send you the necessary paperwork. This paperwork will often come in the form of a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103B). This certificate is a form of written permission that certifies that your finance provider allows you to take the car abroad. It also contains information about you, the vehicle, and the length of your finance agreement.

Speak to a real person

Car finance? 1. Get car finance approved. 2. Choose any car from any dealer. 3. Get it delivered next day. We’re open Monday to Friday (8am - 8pm) and Saturday to Sunday (10am - 5pm).