If you're a car owner, you know that regular car service and maintenance are essential to keep your vehicle in good condition. One of the most important services you can get is a major car service (also known as “master service”). It includes all the same checks as a basic service, but with additional inspections and replacements to keep your car running smoothly and ensure your safety. In this article, we'll dive deeper into what a major car service includes, how often you should have it done, and why it's crucial for the long-term health and value of your car.
What is involved with a major service?
A major car service includes all the same checks as a basic or interim service, plus additional inspections and replacements. Here's what you can expect:
- Engine oil and filter replacement: old oil is removed and replaced with fresh oil, while the oil filter is replaced to ensure proper engine lubrication.
- Air filter replacement: a new air filter is installed to prevent debris and dirt from entering the engine.
- Spark plug replacement: this is necessary to ensure proper ignition and fuel efficiency.
- Brake fluid replacement: this ensures the braking system is functioning correctly and safely.
- Power steering fluid replacement: it helps to ensure the car's steering system is functioning smoothly and efficiently.
- Steering and suspension check: all components of the steering and suspension are thoroughly checked for wear and damage.
- Tyre inspection: tyre pressure is checked and the condition of the tyres is inspected to ensure they are safe to drive.
- Battery check: the battery is inspected and tested to ensure it is in good condition.
- Lights check: all lights are inspected to ensure they are working correctly.
- Full safety inspection: a thorough check of the car's safety features, including seat belts, brakes, and other safety mechanisms, is performed to ensure everything is functioning correctly.
Overall, a major service is an important part of regular car maintenance to ensure the safety and longevity of your vehicle.
When should you have a major service?
Whether or not you need a major service every year depends on various factors such as your car's make and model, its age, and how frequently you use it. As a general rule, most car manufacturers recommend getting a major service every 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, if you drive frequently, in harsh conditions, or have an older car, you may need to get a major service every year.
Regular servicing can help ensure your car is in good condition and prevent major issues from developing. However, it's best to consult your car's owner's manual or a professional mechanic for specific advice on how often your car needs a major service based on its individual needs.
How long does a major service take?
The duration of a major service can vary depending on several factors like the make and model of the car, the extent of the service needed, and any additional repairs. Typically, a major service can take 3 to 4 hours at least. It's essential to keep in mind that some unforeseen issues can arise, which may cause the service to take longer than anticipated.
How much does a major service cost?
A major service typically costs upwards of £200, although the exact cost will depend on the make and model of your vehicle as well as the type of service you choose. It's important to note that this price does not include any additional repairs that may be needed. While the price may seem high, investing in regular car servicing can ultimately save you money in the long run by helping to prevent more costly repairs down the road.
If you want to know more about the costs on car service in the UK, you may want to read - How much does a car service cost in the UK?
Why should I get my car serviced?
Getting a major service for your car is important for several reasons:
- Firstly, it helps to identify any potential problems early on, which can prevent more serious issues from developing in the future.
- Secondly, regular servicing can help to maintain the resale value of your car.
- Thirdly, it ensures that your car is running efficiently and safely.
- Lastly, it's a legal requirement to keep your car in a roadworthy condition, and regular servicing helps to meet this requirement.
Do I need a major service for my financed car?
In the UK, regardless of whether your car is financed through a PCP or HP agreement, it's important to keep up with regular maintenance, including major services. Not only can this help prevent breakdowns and more costly repairs down the line, but also failing to maintain your car can also put you at risk of breaching your finance agreement.
At Carplus, we offer competitive car finance options and can help you find a financing plan that works for you. Give us a call to get a quote and discuss your options.
Final words: Is major car service worth it?
We strongly recommend a major car service for your vehicle. While it may come at an additional cost, a major service can prolong your car’s lifespan, improve its performance, and help you avoid costly repairs in the future.
Doing car service regularly is crucial in keeping your car running safely and efficiently, and a major service can catch any potential issues before they become major problems. In addition, maintaining a comprehensive service history can boost your car’s resale value. Don’t delay in scheduling your major car service today, and consider taking advantage of service plans to save on future maintenance costs.
|Total charge of credit||£3,731.35|
|Total amount payable||£15,731.35|